Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Meeting the Rabbi

A first step that I should have made long ago. But of course, it is never too late, if we consider spirituality a growing and evolving factor in one's life. It was probably necessary for me to wait such a long time to actually do something about my spiritual development. I mean, I was constantly trying to find the way that was waiting for me and was among the less lucky ones for whom it takes a little longer. But now I am positive and confident that I have found it, no matter what and how long it took me to get there.

A few weeks ago I have started to look up every information I possibly could about conversion to Judaism and about Judaism itself. The more I got to know, the more I felt attracted to what seems now less unknown. I have always admired the Jewish people, their traditions and their history, even though it was -- and still is -- full of suffering and torture. This people is still alive and growing, and there are more and more converts, too, beside the ones who are born to belong to this amazing people.

I met a Rabbi today at the Temple and not only is she gracious and welcoming but also she is very smart and open-minded. Just the approach I was seeking. She spent more than an hour of her time talking with me about my thoughts and purposes, she has not turned me down 3 times as traditionalist Rabbis do -- only understandably --, for two reasons: one, they want to see the commitment of the convert-to-be, and two, they want to protect their people from newcomers that could be wrongdoers to the community.
She gave me the syllabus and the outline for my study -- with her guidance -- to be able to make an informed decision: whether or not I want to convert to Judaism. I can't wait to go to the library tomorrow morning and get the books she recommends and requires for me to educate myself about Jewish life, culture and the people. I am so excited!!! I left the Temple with all kinds of positive and uplifting thoughts and feelings, I kept smiling all the way while I was driving back to my husband's office to pick him up.

I am in a transition and I can feel how this journey would take me where I belong. This blog is serving as my journal, as I go through this transition, for me and for those who are interested. Most importantly, for my Rabbi who is going to help me find my way.

I would be more than happy to read comments -- if any -- but inappropriate comments and those of hatred are going to be moderated. It would really not worth it to post such comments, because my pacifist nature and the spiritual nature of the topic do not leave room for them.

I thank everyone for reading my posts with respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment